Earlier this week, carnival games and vendor kiosks were removed, and construction walls went up around a portion of the old Triceratops Encounter area, which has been defunct for almost a decade.
That matches work described on a demolition permit filed with the city of Orlando in May for Project 791 in that 1.36-acre area. Contractor documents indicate the project includes construction of “a new attraction” and estimates that demolition and construction will take 18 months.
A document reviewed shows a roller coaster track layout for that area, which we’ve reproduced above. The document shows the queue starting on the southern edge of the waterfront by the Discovery Center.
Records indicate the Raptor Encounter attraction currently in that area will be relocated as part of the construction.
The demolition permit for the area is in the final stages of approval, according to the city website.
Permits to construct the actual coaster have not yet been filed, city records show.
Universal spokesman Tom Schroder declined to comment for this story.
In a tweet last week, Universal said in response to a question about the Jurassic Park section, "We've got some exciting plans and look forward to more exciting details to come."
Prince Philip, the husband of Queen Elizabeth II, was involved in a two-vehicle accident Thursday. The 97-year-old prince was not injured, The Associated Press reported.
According to palace officials, the crash happened near Sandringham Estate, the AP reported. The estate serves as the queen’s country retreat and is located in Eastern England.
Officials said they were called to a collision between two vehicles. Two people in one of the vehicles were treated for minor injuries. The injured people were not identified.
A doctor examined Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, confirming he was not hurt in the crash, the AP reported.
The duke was driving a Range Rover that overturned on its side, the BBC reported.
Picture it ... Sicily ... 2019 ... a house that can be purchased for just over one American dollar.
Officials in Sambuca, Sicily, have put dozens of homes perched on the top of the rolling hills on the market for one euro, or about $1.14 with the current exchange rate, CNN reported.
The homes offer views of the Mediterranean and are located on land that’s referred to locally as “Earthly Paradise,” according to CNN.
But as always, the deal comes with a few strings attached. All of the homes are technically dilapidated and anyone who buys one of the homes has to sink in about $17,000 to refurbish them over three years. There’s also a 5,000 euro, or $5,695, security deposit that will be returned once the homes are remodeled, CNN reported.
Federal authorities in Australia say a cabin crew smuggled millions of dollars worth of heroin and methamphetamines between Asia and Australia.
Two flight crew and six others were arrested as part of a six-month investigation called Operation Sunrise, CNN reported.
The crew members worked for Malindo Air, an air carrier based in Malaysia which is a subsidiary of Lion Air from Indonesia.
Investigators said at least 20 smuggling trips have been made by the flight crew to bring drugs into Australia.
Officials said the airline employees hid the drugs on their bodies, 9News in Australia reported.
The accused were said to have worked with a “highly organized” Vietnamese crime syndicate. The crime syndicate was based out of Melbourne and had been active for more than five years.
Officials seized 17 pounds of heroin valued at about $10.5 million in U.S. funds, or 42,000 street deals, officials told CNN.
An additional 13 pounds of methamphetamines, with a street value of $4.6 million was seized, as well as a half kilo of cocaine, cars including a Porsche and cash, 9News reported.
Move over, Batman. Swim to the other side of Atlantis, Aquaman.
There’s a new action figure in D.C.: Robert Mueller.
The special counsel, who is investigating possible Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election, now has his own 6-inch action figure, The Hill reported.
A company named FCTRY is producing the $20 mini figure of Mueller, and pre-orders began Tuesday. On its website, the Brooklyn-based company proclaims that Mueller “is our only hope,” adding that “without being melodramatic,” the special counsel seems to be the last figure “standing between us and chaos.”
FCTRY notes that the Mueller figure is the “perfect foil” to President Donald Trump.
“He’s the Batman to Trump’s Joker. The Ness to Trump’s Capone. The Bond to, well, every Bond Villain,” the company wrote on its website.
FCTRY has also created action figures of Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg (called “Notorious RBG”), former President Barack Obama, Sen. Bernie Sanders and Sen. Elizabeth Warren, The Hill reported. The company also produced a figure of Trump in 2017.
The Mueller action figure will ship this spring, The Hill reported.
On the one-year anniversary of the death of Cranberries lead singer Dolores O’Riordan, the surviving members of the band announced their final album, Rolling Stone reported.
“In the End” is the band’s eighth album and is a collection of songs O’Riordan worked on before her death in a London hotel room on Jan. 15, 2018. She was 46. O’Riordan died by drowning due to alcohol intoxication, according to an inquest at Westminster Coroner’s Court, the Limerick Leader reported.
The group shared the new album’s first single, “All Over Now.”
In a Facebook post, band members Mike Hogan, Noel Hogan and Fergal Lawler said the album was being released “in honor of our dear friend and bandmate, Dolores.”
“I can’t think of a more fitting way to commemorate the first anniversary of Dolores’ passing and to celebrate her life than to announce to the world the release of her final album with the band,” said O’Riordan’s mother, Eileen O’Riordan, in a statement to Rolling Stone.
O’Riordan and the Cranberries rose to fame with their 1993 album, “Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can’t We?” which sold more than 40 million records.
Riordan and band mate Noel Hogan began working on the songs that would ultimately appear on band’s final album while touring in May 2017, the magazine reported.
Country music legend Loretta Lynn turns 87 on April 14, and Nashville will be throwing a giant party for the “Coal Miner’s Daughter” singer.
Garth Brooks, Keith Urban, George Strait, Trisha Yearwood and Darius Rucker will be among the stars performing April 1 in a concert at Bridgestone Arena, WSMV reported Monday.
The concert will be called “Loretta Lynn: An All-Star Birthday Celebration,” The Tennessean reported.
"This is the first time I've ever had a birthday party! My birthday wish has come true. The only other wish I have is that Keith Urban jumps out of my birthday cake!" Lynn said a news release, WSMV reported.
Lynn, who suffered a stroke in May 2017 and a broken hip in January 2018, said during a news conference that she “felt great,” Rolling Stone reported. It is not clear whether Lynn will perform during the concert, the magazine reported. Her last public performance came in October 2017 at the Tennessee Motorcycle and Music Revival at her ranch in Hurricane Mills, Tennessee, Rolling Stone reported.
Her last album, “Wouldn’t It Be Great,” was released in September 2018.
April’s show will benefit the Opry Trust Fund and the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum. Rolling Stone reported.
A large explosion damaged a bakery in central Paris on Saturday morning, killing two people and injuring 37, with 10 in critical condition, the BBC reported.
The Independent reported that the cause was caused by a gas leak. Officials said they did not believe the explosion was related to terrorism.
Update 8:23 a.m. EST Jan 12: Two firefighters were killed after a large explosion at a bakery in central Paris, officials told the BBC.
Thirty-seven people were injured, including 10 seriously hurt, in the blast on Rue de Trévise, the network reported.
"At this hour, 2 firefighters from the Paris fire brigade are dead. 10 people are seriously injured, including a firefighter. 37 people are in a state of relative emergency," French Interior Minister Christophe Castaner wrote in a tweet.
"Profound sadness. Standing by the families of victims. The nation shares in their pain," Castaner wrote.
Update 6:48 a.m. EST Jan. 12: Paris fire officials confirmed that 36 people were injured, with 12 in critical condition, Sky News reported.
Update 5:20 a.m. EST Jan. 12: The Hubert bakery at No 6 Rue de Trévise was not open at the time of the explosion, the BBC reported, citing the Le Parisien newspaper.
Paula Nagui, who works as a receptionist at the Diva Hotel near the bakery, told the BBC there had been an "enormous blast" that shattered all the windows.
Guests were told the explosion was not a terror attack, Nagui told Le Parisien.
Update 5:05 a.m. EST Jan. 12: France Info Radio reported that 20 people were injured, two of them seriously, The Telegraph reported.
“Destruction for blocks after an explosion on Rue de Trévise,” American freelance journalist Emily Molli tweeted.
Update 4:34 a.m. EST Jan. 12: A Paris police spokeswoman said there were multiple injuries reported to police but no deaths, the Evening Standard reported.
Sylvain Maillard, a leglslator who represents the area of Paris where the explosion occurred, told BFM TV that the blast was “accidental” and there were “probably” people wounded, according to The New York Times.
Update 4:20 a.m. EST Jan 12: The Paris police prefecture posted on Twitter that a shop on Rue de Trévise had been hit by a “strong explosion” and that firefighters were responding to a fire.
The fire occurred shortly after 9 a.m. in Paris, the Evening Standard reported
This is a developing story.
A large freeway sign crashed onto the road below Monday in Melbourne, Australia, crushing a vehicle and sending one woman to the hospital.
According to 9News, the 4- by 5-meter sign, which was over the Tullamarine Freeway near the Essendon Airport, somehow detached and fell onto the car around 5:30 p.m. The driver, a 54-year-old woman, suffered "minor neck injuries" and is in "stable condition," the station reported.
Another driver's dashcam captured video of the scary moment.
Authorities are investigating what caused the incident and examined other signs nearby, 9News reported.
"Equipment was used to test surrounding areas ... and the experts say there are no concerns that it will happen again," Graeme Chambers, delivery director of the Major Road Projects Authority, told the station.
A woman died early Tuesday after she was found trapped in the hatch of a clothing donation bin in Toronto early Tuesday, CBC reported.
Emergency crews responded after receiving reports that the woman was inside the bin, which was located outside an apartment complex, the network reported.
Paramedics performed CPR, but the woman was pronounced dead at the scene, CBC reported.
There have been at least eight deaths related to people attempting to climb inside donation boxes in Canada since 2015, CTV reported.
The box hatches are designed to prevent theft, but they can also trap someone who leans in too far, CBC reported.
The box is operated by B'nai Brith Canada, CBC reported.
"We are saddened at this terrible and tragic incident," B’nai Brith spokesman Daniel Koren said in an email to CBC. “We are in direct communication with police on this matter."
Enable our Skill today to listen live at home on your Alexa Devices!