Now Playing
105.5 WDUV
Last Song Played
Continuous Lite Favorites

entertainment

200 items
Results 1 - 10 of 200 next >

Nevada man central to Howard Hughes inheritance fight dies

Melvin Dummar, a delivery driver who falsely claimed that billionaire Howard Hughes left a handwritten will bequeathing him $156 million, has died in rural Nevada.

Nye County Sheriff Sharon Wehrly (WER'-lee) said Dummar died Sunday under hospice care. He was 74.

Dummar's brother, Ray Dummar, of Gabbs, Nevada, says Melvin Dummar battled cancer for many years. He previously lived in Brigham City, Utah.

Melvin Dummar's plight was depicted in the film "Melvin and Howard" in 1980. Mary Steenburgen won a best supporting actor Oscar.

Battles over the authenticity of the so-called "Mormon will" lasted more than a decade.

Dummar maintained that he found Hughes on a Nevada desert road in 1967 and drove him to Las Vegas. Hughes died in 1976.

TIME’s Person of the Year 2018 shortlist announced

TIME unveiled its 2018 Person of the Year shortlist Monday, recognizing “the person or group of people who most influenced the news and the world — for better or for worse — during the past year.”

>> Read more trending news 

Last year, TIME honored the “silence breakers,” a group of “all races, all income classes, all occupations and virtually all corners of the globe,” for breaking their silence against sexual harassment. The 2017 magazine cover featured Ashley Judd, Susan Fowler, Adama Iwu, Isabel Pascual and Taylor Swift.

Here are the 10 finalists on the 2018 shortlist:
  • President Donald Trump
  • Separated families at the border
  • Russia’s President Vladimir Putin
  • Special counsel Robert Mueller
  • “Black Panther” director Ryan Coogler
  • Christine Blasey Ford, who testified against Judge Brett Kavanaugh in September
  • Jamal Khashoggi, Washington Post columnist believed to have been murdered by the Saudi regime
  • March For Our Lives activists led by students at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida
  • South Korean President Moon Jae-in
  • Meghan Markle, Duchess of Sussex

TIME’s 2018 Person of the Year will be announced Tuesday at 7 a.m. on NBC’s Today show.

50 Cent’s crew member killed on set of Starz series ‘Power’

A crew member on 50 Cent’s popular Starz series “Power” was struck by an SUV and killed Monday morning in Brooklyn, New York, closing down filming on the show’s sixth season, according to media reports.

>> Read more trending news 

Production assistant Pedro Jimenez, 63, was fatally struck around 4 a.m. by another crew member while placing traffic cones on a street in preparation for the start of filming, according to USA Today.

The driver of the Ford Explorer that hit and killed Jimenez remained at the scene as police began their investigation.

“It’s unknown why the vehicle moved and lost control,” New York police detective Martin Brown told USA Today. There have been “no arrests at this time but this incident is still under investigation.”

“I just learned we lost Pedro Jimenez, a member of the Power production team early this morning. My prayers and condolences are with the entire Jimenez family,” 50 Cent, whose real name is Curtis Jackson, said in a post Monday on Instagram.

A Starz spokesperson also responded to the tragedy Monday in a statement.

>> Related: Star troubles: 50 Cent has $108,000 monthly expenses, including $72,000 for mansion

“We are deeply saddened by the loss of one of the members of our ‘power’ family … Our thoughts are with Mr. Jimenez’s family as we work to fully understand what has happened.

The NYPD’s Highway Collision Investigation Squad is investigating the accident.

Study: Social media surpasses newspapers as news source

A survey says Americans today are more likely to get news from social media web sites than newspapers.

The Pew Research Center said Monday that 20 percent of Americans cited social media as a frequent news source, compared to 16 percent that credited newspapers. It's the first time since Pew has found sites like Facebook and Twitter outpacing newspapers.

Pew has been asking about news consumption, with a slight change in wording, since 1991. That year, 56 percent of Americans said newspapers when asked where they had gotten their news yesterday.

The survey also found that 81 percent of people aged 65 and over often get news from television, compared to only 16 percent of people aged 18 to 29.

Meek Mill, Fat Joe attend DJ Khaled's Miami birthday bash

Meek Mill, Busta Rhymes and Fat Joe were among the rappers who came out to celebrate DJ Khaled's birthday at an over-the-top party at the Perez Art Museum to close out Art Basel in Miami Beach.

The Haute Living party celebrated birthdays for both DJ Khaled and his wife Nicole with a 60-person dinner Sunday night. Swizz Beatz gave a special DJ set, getting guests pumped up when he played "This Is How We Do It." He toasted the birthday couple, saying they "came from nothing and stay working hard."

Cuba Gooding Jr., Larsa Pippen, Jeff Gordon, Trina, Jeezy, Jadakiss and 21 Savage were among the guests dancing, toasting and eating cake as they overlooked views of Biscayne Bay.

DJ Khaled even received a sparkly $106,000 watch as a gift.

Crew member of Starz series 'Power' hit, killed at shoot

A production assistant on the Starz network drama series "Power" has been struck and killed by a vehicle while setting up traffic cones for a film production in Brooklyn.

Police say 63-year-old Pedro Jimenez, of Manhattan, was pronounced dead at a hospital following the accident just before 4:30 a.m. Monday in the Boerum Hill neighborhood.

Police say the 64-year-old driver of the vehicle remained at the scene. There have been no arrests.

A Starz spokeswoman says that the network is "deeply saddened" by the death and that thoughts are with the Jimenez family.

Production on the series has been suspended. It isn't clear when production will resume.

"Power" stars Omari Hardwick as a drug kingpin and nightclub owner.

Rupert Grint is wealthy, but said he has no idea of net worth

There is no need for Ron Weasley to panic now -- at least not financially.

>> Read more trending news 

Rupert Grint, who played the nervous redhead in the “Harry Potter” movie series, admitted in an interview he did not know how much money he has in the bank, the Daily Mail reported.

However, Grint, 30, is worth more than $35 million and said he is content knowing he can live a “comfortable” life without checking his financial statements, the newspaper reported.

Grint made his comments during an interview with the Radio Times,  saying that “I actually don't know how much I have. I couldn't even really guess.”

Grint, one of the three main characters in the “Harry Potter” wizard movies adapted from J.K. Rowling’s books, vaulted to fame with Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson when the 2001 movie, “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone,” was released.

Having that much money “doesn’t motivate me too much,” Grint told the Radio Times. “'I'm glad it's there but I'm not really that focused on it.”

Radcliffe has an estimated net worth of more than $109 million and Watson has a net worth of more than $71 million, the Daily Mail reported.

Imagine Dragons to perform during halftime of CFP champ game

Grammy Award winners Imagine Dragons will perform at halftime of the College Football Playoff championship game on Jan. 7.

ESPN and Interscope Records announced the performance Monday.

For the second consecutive season, the College Football Playoff will feature a Super Bowl-style halftime performance for the television audience. The school bands will still perform at halftime of the game in Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, California.

Imagine Dragons will headline the halftime telecast and perform from Treasure Island in San Francisco Bay. The bands' song "Natural" was used by ESPN as the theme for much of the network's college football coverage and promotions. Imagine Dragons won a Grammy in 2014 for its song "Radioactive." The band will perform several songs in the halftime set, including tracks from its recently released fourth album, "Origins." The halftime concert will be free to attend but limited to those who secure passes. Details on how to do that will be announced at a later date.

Last season, Kendrick Lamar performed at halftime of the College Football Playoff championship game in Atlanta.

___

More AP college football: https://apnews.com/collegefootball and https://twitter.com/AP_Top25

English announcer Champion to become lead MLS voice for ESPN

Jon Champion is making a Brexit of his own, leaving England to become ESPN's lead announcer for Major League Soccer.

The 53-year-old has been broadcasting British matches since 1988 and is heard around the world calling games for Premier League Productions. He has been working part-time for ESPN during international fixture breaks and starts an exclusive contract with the network on Feb. 1. He plans to move to the Boston area, within commuting distance from ESPN's campus in Bristol, Connecticut.

"I've still got a lot of good years ahead of me, and I think I'm still young enough to adjust to a new challenge," he said in a telephone interview. "I just fancy a little bit more of something that's growing. The Premier League has now reached a point where it is a fully matured competition, and I've been part of that journey seeing it at close quarters. And it will be nice to go into an environment again where the product is on the way up and it's growing and it's maturing. And if I can play a little part in telling the story of MLS as it grows, then I think that will be quite good fun."

Champion will pair with former U.S. forward Taylor Twellman as ESPN's lead crew for MLS. Ian Darke, another English announcer, is ESPN's lead soccer broadcaster and usually pairs with Twellman on U.S. national team matches.

Champion's hiring signals ESPN's commitment to soccer under network president James Pitaro, an executive with The Walt Disney Co. who succeeded John Skipper last March.

"I was obviously keen to find out what ESPN's attitude to soccer was going to be going forward, so I had a fairly detailed conversations with a number of executives in the company, and I went into those knowing how strong a supporter of soccer John Skipper was when he was at the helm of the company and that maybe the commitment would be reduced. In fact, I found it to be the opposite."

ESPN broadcast the World Cup from 1994-2014 but lost 2018-26 to Fox. ESPN shares U.S. Soccer Federation and MLS rights with Fox and ahead of this season acquired Italy's Serie A, a staple of the ESPN+ streaming service that launched last April. ESPN also has rights to the 2020 European Championship.

Amy Rosenfeld, ESPN's senior coordinating producer for soccer, had been trying for several years to persuade Champion to make the move.

Champion will be moving along with wife Anna and 16-year-old son Will. Daughter Emily, 23, works in Revlon Inc.'s marketing department in London; 20-year-old son Ben is in his third year at St. Andrews University in Scotland and 19-year-old Harry is taking a gap year before starting at the University of Edinburgh in September.

Champion is scheduled to call Premier League matches through Newcastle-Manchester City on Jan. 29, including the big Manchester City-Liverpool game on Jan. 3. Rosenfeld said it will be determined on a case-by-case basis whether Champion can call Premier League games and tournaments if it doesn't interfere with his ESPN work.

Adrian Healy, who had been ESPN's lead MLS voice, will still be a major presence in ESPN's soccer coverage.

"Production needs to up its game to keep up with programming," she said. "Our commitment at this stage is the greatest it's ever been."

Champion worked for ESPN UK as its lead soccer announcer from 2009-13 and was part of the U.S. network's coverage of the 2014 World Cup and 2016 European Championship. He has worked for ESPN broadcasting preseason exhibitions and traveled to Bristol to call World Cup and European Championship qualifiers from the studio.

He made his decision after consulting with, among others, former English referee Howard Webb; former Premier League defender Liam Ridgewell, now with Portland; former Tottenham executive Darren Eales, now Atlanta United's president; and former Seattle Sounders midfielder Andy Rose, now with Mothewell.

___

More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports

'Modern Family's' Sarah Hyland had second kidney transplant

"Modern Family" star Sarah Hyland says she had a second kidney transplant last year, replacing a kidney from her father with another from her brother.

Hyland detailed her lifelong health struggles in an interview in Self magazine, and tweeted Monday that she hopes it "spreads awareness of organ donation" and "brings a sense of support" to the "beautiful warriors" in the chronically ill community.

The 28-year old, who has appeared on the ABC sitcom "Modern Family" since she was 18, was born with kidney dysplasia, which causes cysts to grow on underdeveloped kidneys.

She received her father's kidney in 2012, but four years later her body began rejecting it, and she underwent a series of treatments that included months of dialysis that she squeezed in around "Modern Family" shoots, but it became increasingly clear that the kidney would have to be replaced.

"When a family member gives you a second chance at life, and it fails, it almost feels like it's your fault," Hyland said. "It's not. But it does."

The family learned Hyland's younger brother Ian was a match. She was reticent to take another organ from a loved one. He insisted.

"I only cared about Sarah knowing that I had her back and that she was going to be OK," 23-year-old Ian Hyland told Self. "I probably would have insisted on donating even if I wasn't a match."

Hyland had the second transplant in September of 2017, and is struggling to adjust to her changed body, but overall is recovering well.

200 items
Results 1 - 10 of 200 next >
 

Amazon Alexa

Enable our Skill today to listen live at home on your Alexa Devices!